How to choose the right colour flooring for your home
Choosing the right flooring finish sets the tone for your entire home, and this includes the colour of your floors. Often forgotten in favour of wall colour, floors bring your home together and are a crucial design element.
Not only does the type of flooring you choose to install impact the look and feel of your home, so too does its colour. Whether you seek a cosy, warm look; an open and flowing feel; or to delineate areas, the colour of your floors goes a long way to achieving the overall result you seek.
Tips on choosing the right flooring colour
- Do you want to make it appear larger? Lighter floor finishes (light oak hybrid vinyl, blonde engineered wood, or cream-coloured carpet, for example) will make your room feel more spacious. Conversely, to make a large room feel cosier, dark engineered wood or
will help achieve this.
Understand how colour impacts aesthetics
- To create a streamlined sense of flow throughout your home, colour match with your existing floors (unless you’re re-flooring your entire space). Alternatively, mixed flooring types and colours (as long as the colours are complementary) will help create zones, especially if your home is open-plan.
The desired mood of your room will also influence how you choose your flooring colour. A coastal-themed home will look great with light ash tones on the floor. A classic Federation-style home will work best with warm, deep timber-look floors. Black floorboards can provide a dramatic, contemporary feel.
Consider your furnishings
- What is the context of your room? What is the style of your furniture? Do you have art or another type of décor to consider? What do your soft furnishings look like? Will you have rugs over your finished floor? All of these need to work together to create a clean, complementary look rather than a competing one. The last thing you want is for the overall result to clash.
Work with your available light
- Consider both natural and artificial light, as light throughout the day (and even the seasons) changes dramatically and enormously impacts how your floor looks. Without an abundance of natural light, lighter-coloured floors will make your home seem brighter, while a very sunny or bright home can look fantastic with a darker floor – it simply depends on the overall look you seek.
Do you have kids or pets?
- If you are choosing carpet, consider the impact children or pets (or heavy traffic) can have on these. A darker floor colour may be more practical as it will be more forgiving on the dirt, grime, and stains which are inevitable when you have kids or inside pets.
You should always bring flooring samples home to see it in place to determine if it’s right before making your final choice. Impact Floors is your ideal service provider as we walk you through the process of selecting the right flooring for your home.
Impact Floors – Your Ideal Flooring Solutions
Impact Floors is a top local provider of beautiful, affordable flooring solutions on the Sunshine Coast. Locally-owned and operated, we provide the professional yet friendly service you deserve, with flooring solutions to suit every need and aesthetic. We have the perfect flooring product for your needs, as well as the insight and experience to provide advice and guidance when it comes to making your choice. There is no better supplier of flooring in Maroochydore for your home or investment property.
Browse our website to explore our wide range of solutions, or visit our showroom to see and feel our flooring solutions for yourself.
One of the most common issues our customers have is choosing the right colour. Which is why we insist they take samples home to see the colours in there home environment. Often people don’t realise the difference colours can appear from our flooring showroom to their home.
Alternatively, give us a call on (07) 5443 1295 for an obligation-free quote.